Monday, October 22, 2012

Gluten-free, Dairy-free Pumpkin Pie Recipe



During the holiday seasons of years past, I spent hours in the kitchen experimenting with gluten- and dairy-free recipes and dreaming of my delicious first bites. Many times, the actual results were utter disappointments, and I would be the only one at holiday parties chewing through my embarrassingly semi-edible breads and desserts while everyone (including me) pretended not to notice how bummed out I actually was.

But times have changed, and pumpkin pie not only tastes good again, it's delicious!

My entry here is also a review of two products: Bavaria Mills Pre-made Gluten-Free Pie Crust (Pair) and Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Evaporated Cane Juice

The evaporated cane juice was grainy, so I mixed the sugar blend with the eggs before I put the pumpkin in, giving the cane juice time to dissolve.

The gluten-free pie shell from Bavaria Mills was okay. Its texture was great, but the bare crust's flavor was slightly bitter, dry, and lacking in salt. Simply put, it's a vehicle for your filling and nothing more. Overall, I give it a B, because it comes in handy when you're in a hurry. I would use it again. 






Gluten-free, Dairy-Free Pumpkin Pie Filling

(EDIT: if you want to use regular sugar, you can substitute it for the cane syrup crystals. The original recipe called for 1/2 C brown sugar and 1/4 C white sugar. I'm sensitive to white sugar, so I went looking for an alternative.)
   3/4 Cup Evaporated Cane Juice
    1/2 Teaspoon Sea salt
  1/2 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
   1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
   1/4 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
   1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
   2 Eggs
   1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
   1 15-oz Can Pumpkin Puree
   1 Cup Coconut Milk 

Needed: 1 Unbaked Pie Shell. 
Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
Combine the cane juice, sea salt, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon in a small bowl. Beat eggs in a large bowl. Beat in the sugar mixture until cane juice dissolves. Add vanilla and pumpkin puree, and mix until smooth. Fold in the coconut milk, making sure it is evenly distributed. 
Pour the filling into the unbaked pie crust. Bake for about 60 minutes or until a butter knife comes out clean.
Allow the pie to cool on a wire rack for 2 hours. 
I recommend refrigerating it over night, to let the spices mingle. 


Bavaria Mills Unbaked Gluten-Free Pie Crust




(EDIT: I don't provide a gluten-free pie crust recipe here, but if you're looking for one and you need a recommendation, comment in the box below. Also, look for my upcoming apple pie recipe, in which I review a gluten-free pie crust mix. That one will come out before Thanksgiving.)


For those of you who can't enjoy soy-based whipped cream with your pumpkin pie, try vanilla flavored Enlightened Creme from Enlighten Your Palate. See my previous article about Enlightened Creme for images and details. For a list of retailers who carry Enlightened Creme, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment