Sunday, July 17, 2011

Coconut "Ice Cream" Competition, Mint Chocolate Chip: Luna & Larry's Vs. So Delicious

Okay! Now that I've shared my intimate fears with the world, it's time for something sweeter. 

Soy has become a major player among food allergens. It's right up there with gluten, diary, eggs, corn, and all the rest. Compassionate eaters have been exploring the alternatives, and they have finally created comparable products to dairy and soy-based ones, using coconut milk as the base.

As promised, I bring you my modern day, allergy-friendly "Pepsi challenge." 

Luna & Larry's Coconut Bliss Vs. So Delicious mint chocolate chip non-dairy, coconut based ice cream! 




But first, a little bit O' info about our lovely candidates...



Mint Galactica was good, but it was not my favorite from Luna & Larry's. The milk-base had a strong coconut flavor, and it was crystallized. Instead of having a creamy texture, it was more like a coconut milk granita. The chocolate chips were the only mint flavored ingredient, and they were small, which caused them to compete with the coconut taste of the "ice cream." In short, I was rather disappointed, especially since their chocolate hazelnut fudge nearly buckled my knees from ecstasy, and I could not stop myself from repeat purchases of that particular flavor.

The benefits of Luna & Larry's is that their products are all organic and certified fair trade, and they contain agave nectar instead of sugar. Agave nectar has a low glycemic index, which is good for the pancreas. Some say that agave is safe for diabetics, but diabetics should consult their physicians before eating agave nectar and any products that contain it. There is sugar in their chocolate. They list all their ingredients on their website.

The down side to Luna & Larry's is the price. A pint costs over $5! (A little more about that later.)

Candidate # 2: So Delicious, Mint Chip


I skipped over this company's little pints of deliciousness numerous times because of the price. I bought this one on sale for under $4. I got snooty, and thought a lower price point meant lower quality. Boy, was I ever wrong! 

This frozen dessert was unbelievably smooth, creamy, and satisfying, even when nearly frozen solid. There was no coconut flavor in the milk-base, not even a hint. The mint flavor was in the coconut milk-base, as well as the chocolate chips. The chocolate chips were actually chunks, giving a nice contrast between cool, minty cream, and crunchy, minty bitter-sweet chocolate. I didn't get a picture of the dessert itself, because, well, David and I ate it all before we realized what we had done. Yes, it's that good.

So Delicious is bringing the competition. Their coconut milk-base is also sweetened with agave. However, there is sugar in their chocolate chips. Their products are Non-GMO, Kosher, and organic. They aren't fair trade, though, and that may be why the price is so much lower than Luna & Larry's. If so, then I must say that I do support proper payment to all those involved in the growth and production of every ingredient, no matter where they are from. And I encourage you all to think about that when purchasing cheaper products. The people who make our indulgences possible should have the same access to comfort as we do. Anyhoo, So Delicious lists all of their ingredients on their website.

So, as you can probably tell, the winner of this round of my Coconut "Ice Cream" Competition is So Delicious. It was simply...Delicious. 

There are other brands and other flavors to explore, so stay tuned. 

After a detour into the land of terror, it's nice to be getting back to the things I enjoy. Eating Friendly can be a real treat, and I am serving it up for you here today, and it's just in time to cool you off during these steamy summer months.

No comments:

Post a Comment