Friday, October 7, 2011

Our Daily Red Sulfite-Free Wine: Product Review

Meet Our Daily Red, an organic, sulfite-free (SF), California red wine. This rather popular alternative has not only cornered the SF wine market, they've begun producing other wine labels as well, which I plan to review, but not today. I've enjoyed SF red wines from other makers in the past, but they never seemed to stick around for long. Our Daily Red has somehow managed, not only to stick around, but to build a loyal fan base. I think it's because they make a very affordable, alternative wine that tastes as good, or better, than higher-priced wines made with sulfites.




The 2010 vintage of Our Daily Red is light and fruity with a lot of cherry upfront, and hints of blueberry and currant at the finish. A clean, very drinkable, well balanced red. The nose suggests cherries, raspberries, blackberry compote, and custard. Get this folks, it sells for $8.49 a bottle! (Fred Meyer sells it for $10.49)

When I sipped Our Daily Red, and made notes for this article, my palate got a little carried away. So, for the heck of it, I thought I would share with you the pairings I was craving. 

Suggested Pairings:


1. Apps and salads:
  • This wine calls for cheese! Pungent, aged cheeses, and triple cream cheeses, especially one's made with goat and cow’s milk. It can even work with very softly flavored cheeses, like chevre and marscapone.
  • Delicate, buttery savory tarts.
  • Crepes, savory and sweet.
  • Yogurt.
  • Green salads with a light, herbaceous or garlicky vinaigrette, especially salads with nuts, cherries, and goat cheese, as long as the dressing isn't sweet.
3. Dinner:
  • Meats: pork, duck, and chicken (dark meat), especially grilled.
  • Could pair nicely with rice and chutney.
  • Braised spinach and/or chard.

2. Desserts: 
  • Summer berry tarts, crostadas, and crumbles.
  • Panacottas.   
Someone recently asked me if sulfite-free wines produce milder hangovers. My answer was yes, and cleaner wine buzzes too, especially if you're sensitive to sulfites. In Portland, you can find Our Daily Red at Fred Meyer Grocers, Trader Joe's, New Seasons, and Safeway. To find out who else carries Our Daily Red, you will probably have to contact the winemakers by email.

Just a little note: This wine's flavor ranges from dark and fruity to a little on the dry side. I think the inconsistency is due to its lack of preservatives. However, every bottle I've sipped from has been very drinkable and enjoyable. 

Be well, and enjoy Eating Friendly!

2 comments:

  1. We tried the 2012 one last night for the first time and this wine is very strong with a bitter taste which is not a turn off ,it was good. After 1 and 1/2 glass me and hubby both were drunk which was very strange! but we liked it and will get another bottle for weekend! I get bad migraine headaches and usually do not drink red wine so I took the risk last night because this wine is organic and I pass my limit of one glass but no headache today! the price is very good as well just $9.99

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment, Anonymous. It is true; Our Daily Red has lessened in quality over the past year. My guess is that the demand for the wine has driven production beyond the company's capacity to maintain consistency, which is unfortunate for the drinkers who are ultra sensitive to sulfites, because there are so few sulfite-free wines available that are truly enjoyable. It helps if you let the wine breathe for a little while after the bottle has been opened.

    ReplyDelete